Lifeguards - Downtown Berkeley & Oakland
The YMCA of the East Bay is looking for lifeguards for the Downtown Berkeley YMCA and Oakland Y. The Oakland Y has a 7 lane indoor pool which is open year round, and the Downtown Berkeley YMCA has 3 indoor pools, including a 7 lane lap pool which is open year round.
Lifeguards are responsible for providing members and guests with a safe, clean aquatic environment and quality aquatics programs. The lifeguard is fully responsible for making safety the top priority and directly reports to the Aquatics Director.
- Prevent incidents by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area at all times using American Red Cross standards such as constant scanning, shifting surveillance positions and uninterrupted focus.
- Know and review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and standards. Complete related reports promptly and accurately.
- Maintain effective, positive relationships with members, participants and other staff.
- Know, understand, and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic areas, such as maintaining appropriate lifeguard to swimmer ratios.
- Wear appropriate attire that demonstrates lifeguarding role and equip self for all safety and rescue functions.
- Check rescue equipment and pool for hazardous conditions, and promptly report problems.
- Perform chemical testing, when not guarding, as required following safety standards and take appropriate action, including accurate record maintenance.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Support special events, assist in other areas, and perform other duties as required.
- Supports the COVID-19 safety protocols to ensure the safety of staff, members and participants.
CPR/First Aid/AED and have current Lifeguarding Certifications
Part-time and full-time positions available: Starting between $15.50/hr and $16.50/hr based on location, experience and qualifications.
The mission of the YMCA of the East Bay is: To empower youth, advance health and strengthen communities.
Please submit your resume with specified location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.