These general functions will be carried out in keeping with the Goals, Policies and Mission of the YMCA of the East Bay. Provide direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes. Promote safety, self-confidence, a healthy lifestyle and member involvement.
- Instruct swimming lessons using age appropriate methods in accordance with YMCA curriculum.
- Build effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; help them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourage parent involvement and identify potential volunteers.
- Convey information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintain accurate and timely records as required.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follow all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Complete incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organize and put away needed class equipment.
- Support special events, assist in other areas, and perform other duties as required.
- Train and supervise class aides as assigned.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Physically perform all skills required of a swim instructor. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness
- Able to hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Ability to understand and respond in English
- Able to lift and move up to 50 pounds
- Functional expertise
- Communication and Influence
- Emotional Maturity
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent
- At least 16 years of age
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and other computer programs necessary to perform the duties of the job
We look forward to hearing from you!