Executive Director, Camping
The YMCA of the East Bay, one of the largest YMCA’s in the country, located in the Bay Area, headquartered in Oakland, California has an exciting opportunity for an Executive Director, Camping. The incumbent will lead Camp Loma Mar, an American Camping Association accredited 240-bed camp and conference facility serving youth from ages 7–17, families and school groups.
Camp Loma Mar is in the Pescadero Valley, 15 miles south of Half Moon Bay and just 10 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in Northern California. On site, all cabins have electricity and heat, with easy access to newly renovated restrooms with hot showers. There is a beautiful new Dining Hall and a spacious 3-bedroom Director’s Home.
Generations of campers (since 1914) have enjoyed the fun and excitement of the great outdoors in this magnificent, pristine setting. The Camp has hiking trails, swimming pool, low ropes course, arts and crafts, basketball and volleyball courts, campfire bowl and stage, and a climbing wall.
The Executive Director, Camping will serve as a hands-on leader to ensure the successful operations of all resident camping and outdoor enrichment programs including program development, volunteer recruitment, staff leadership, community relations, collaborations, budgeting, fundraising and financial results. The Y is seeking an energetic and creative leader with a vision for growth and innovation to lead and shape camp program development.
- Provide strategic and executive leadership to summer camp director and other full-time staff to ensure high-quality camping and outdoor enrichment programs are developed and executed efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure the operational growth of the Camping and Outdoor Education program through program expansion and retention, pricing strategies, new site development, and collaborations.
- Foster a climate of innovation to develop member/camper-focused programs to appeal to a diverse audience and changing demographics and lead programming staff in the planning, development and implementation of new program initiatives and activities.
- Provide strong leadership to the Adventure Guides program and Family Camp ensuring growth and quality programming.
- Support the annual sustaining campaign efforts. In coordination with Association financial development department, develop and maintain relationships with current and potential donors and funding sources.
- Develop, manage, and monitor budget to meet or exceed budget targets, in accordance with Association procedures.
- In collaboration with Human Resources recruit, develop, retain and motivate a highly qualified and mission-driven staff team.
- Develop and maintain camp facilities that meet the needs of current and potential campers and the Association’s safety, service, and security objectives.
- Provide strong leadership to the development and management of effective committees and volunteers.
- Ensure high quality and well-maintained facilities, capital renovation and equipment.
- Develop volunteer Camping Services Facility Group to achieve YMCA objectives. In collaboration with Vice President of Marketing, handle public relations, social media and marketing for the camp. Develop and maintain impeccable collaborative relationships with collaborating foundations and partners.
- Create and implement marketing plan/strategy to maintain camp at 80% occupancy for both weekend use and outdoor education.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration/human services or equivalent
- 6 years of progressive supervisory/leadership experience with at least 2 years of executive leadership experience
- Proven leadership skills in staff management and development; strategic planning; budget development and financial control; and volunteer development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to meet multiple demands and priorities and lead with a high level of emotional intelligence and maturity
- Proven record of successful camping or outdoor education leadership including innovative program development
- Ability to think conceptually, analyze and solve problems, and demonstrate assertiveness to manage the scope and diversity of the responsibilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and other computer programs necessary to perform the duties of the job
- YMCA Organization Leader certification preferred
The YMCA of the East Bay has a highly competitive compensation/total rewards package with generous base salary and benefits including:
- 10% retirement contribution after two years of YMCA employment
- Housing in Director’s Home on-site at Camp Loma Mar
- Excellent medical insurance plan
- Dental insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability insurance
- Generous time off plans including vacation, sick time and holidays
- Free family YMCA membership
- Life Assistance Program
- Staff Development Opportunities
- Fun Culture and Strong Leadership Team in a well-funded YMCA
- We are an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified candidates should submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements by 1/31/19 to: firstname.lastname@example.org