Health and Fitness Director
The YMCA of the East Bay is a cause driven non-profit that joins people together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of every child, improve our communities’ health and well-being and give back in providing support to our neighbors.
The Albany YMCA is a community with an everyday mission of helping people achieve balance in their lives. We do this by encouraging good health, and fostering connections with new and old friends through fun and shared activities
The Albany YMCA is looking for a dynamic professional to supervise and grow our fitness programs focused on Group Exercise classes, Fitness Center Management, Personal Training and Small Group Personal training programs. We are interested in an individual who can provide high quality, creative programs that serve a very robust and diverse community. This person should have leadership skills to provide coaching and mentoring to several part time staff.
Manages the operations of the assigned programs and staff, in areas such as fitness, active older adults and strength training. Ensures that programs operate in a quality manner, consistent with YMCA guidelines and standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a 4 year college or university with course of study being kinesiology, exercise science or related field with 3-5 years prior experience in group exercise, personal training.
- Specific knowledge and ability in fitness instruction as well as preventative measures in health and fitness.
- 3-5 years in supervisory role.
- Directs and manages operations of HEALTH AND FITNESS programs.
- Develops, manages and controls assigned department budgets.
- Hires, trains and supervises staff in assigned areas. Facilitates communication and provides leadership.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with the community.
- Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign and volunteer committees as assigned.
- Develops, produces and disseminates appropriate program and membership information for assigned areas.
- Maintains program areas and equipment in an orderly and safe manner, according to YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Provides data and reports as required for assigned programs.
- Plans and coordinates maintenance and repairs of facilities and equipment as required.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs. Motivates members and staff to long-term participation.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as required. Maintains current certifications.
- Any additional duties assigned.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies:
- Program/project management
- Developing Self and Others
- Critical thinking and Decision Making
- Fiscal management
- Communication and Influence
Current certifications through ACE, AFAA, ACSM, for personal training and or group exercise.
What we offer:
- Full time exempt position
- Excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance Y Retirement plan, employee funded pre-tax health and childcare spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with vacation, sick and holiday leave.